Hire a Nikon D2X / D2XS Camera from System Insight
An overview of this remarkable professional camera.
Specifications & Technical Details
Nikon D2X Overview
The D2X is aimed at professional users. It is a replacement for a previous professional model, the D1X and complements Nikon's D2Hs camera with which it shares a body. It was, to many, a very important model for Nikon given the 3 1/2 years which had elapsed between the D1X and D2X, during which time competitive pressure mounted on the D1X.
The D2X is very well suited to wedding and portrait work. It is one of very few cameras with a built-in "3rd-eye" which records the colour of ambient light, giving the D2X an additional tool to accurately compute the white-balance for each image, instead of relying on calculations based only on subjects within the picture frame.
The D2X incorporates some other innovations such as refinements of the metering and autofocus systems. At the same time the camera is able to make use of virtually all of Nikon's F-Mount lenses including most legacy lenses.
The D2X retains a DX format sensor which is 66% of the size of a 35mm frame. In high speed crop mode the camera sacrifices pixels in favour of speed and crops the image to 50% of a 35 mm frame to enable continuous shooting at 8 frames per second (vs. 5 frame/s at full resolution).
Its image sensor uses CMOS technology supplied by Sony instead of either a charge-coupled device or the Nikon proprietary LBCAST sensor, which had both dominated Nikon's digital SLR lineup until the D2X. The camera supports sYCC colour space.
The D2X surpasses the D2H and its successor the D2Hs by providing 5 frames/s at 12 megapixels, and 8 frames/s at 6.9 megapixels with its unique high speed crop mode.
What Nikon Says:
“Nikon has integrated the best of its world-leading camera expertise with stunning advances
in digital technologies to realize the only digital SLR camera truly equipped to meet
the changing landscape of professional photography. The Nikon D2X blends for the first time the
high levels of resolution commercial clients demand with class-leading levels of speed, handling
and consistent colour. Workflow remains efficient and consistent, even under difficult conditions,
yielding output of the finest quality with the detail to allow editing as the assignment demands.
The Nikon D2X, ready to expand the realm of digital photography.”
- DX Format image sensor—12.4 million effective pixels
- Nikon's new high-resolution image processing engine
- Precise white balance for accurate colour
- Improved 3D-colour Matrix Metering II
- Immediate response
- High-speed continuous shooting
- Fast, precise 11-area AF system
- Faster data handling
- Built to withstand the rigors of professional use
- Creative in-camera effects
- Extensive lineup of compatible AF Nikkor lenses
- Wireless Transmitter WT-2 support
Wireless Camera Solutions are the ideal partner to the IT5000 Click System
Unrivaled lithium-ion battery system:
The D2Xs compact rechargeable lithium-ion battery delivers
extended longevity and high energy capacity capable of
approx. 2,000 shots per charge, with accurate real-time system
Large 2.5-inch LCD for easy info access
A new 2.5-inch LCD monitor features an all-digital interface for
clear, flicker-free display of preview images and logically organized Shooting and Custom Settings menus. On-demand information
includes an improved histogram and new RGB Histogram
displays, as well as a chronological Recent Settings list.
Camera Accessories available for hire from System Insight :
We are making the following items available for hire with this camera:
- Wireless Transmitter WT-2a
- Wireless Transmitter WT-3a provides wireless functionality with IEEE 802.11b/g technology; it enables cable-free image transfer to a compatible computer, with the added safety and versatility of wide-ranging network and security protocols.
- Lens: 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
- 3.2x zoom covers from a wide angle of 79 degrees to a narrow angle of 28 degrees 50 minutes
(equivalent to 25.5mm to 85.5mm for 35mm format) and is ideal for architecture, landscape,
groups shots and portraits.
- Lens - 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
- VR operation offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed 3 stops faster. In addition, active
vibration mode selection is possible. For using in an active situation such as in a car, boat or
- SB800 Flash Gun
- Compatible with both digital and film SLR cameras; auto flash control is set to match the camera body: i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash control with the D2H, D-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash control and Auto Aperture Flash (AA) with D1 Series and D100 digital SLR cameras, and TTL and Non-TTL Auto Flash (A) with film cameras.
The SB-800 Speedlight features wireless TTL technology. Photographers using the SB-800 as the Controller, can employ up to three groups of compatible Speedlights, with any quantity of compatible SB-600 and SB-800 speedlights within each of the three groups, to achieve Advanced Wireless i-TTL exposure control.
Call System Insight on 01329 835500 for more details and hire charges
Need to rent a printer also? For more details refer to our renting a photo printer or rental pricing web pages.
Note: We may require identification details from you before hiring equipment and we reserve the right to refuse rental at our discretion.
Nikon Cameras & Accessories for Hire
An overview of working with Nikon wireless transmitters
Nikon Camera Control Pro software for tethered & wireless operation
Dye Sublimation Photo Printer rental
Nikon D2X Wins Camera Award
Nikon's D2X was awarded best product accolades for 2005-6 by the European Imaging and Sound Awards. Named European Professional Camera of the Year, the D2X's 'extraordinary performance' was praised by the judges.